Part of the Grantham and Vale of Belvoir Circuit
Part of the Methodist Church UK
In 1991, Member John Watson, compiled this history of the church, its building and ministers.
This typed document has been scanned and digitaly re-
HISTORY OF HARROWBY LANE METHODIST — 1951-
The land which the Church stands on, is on the corner of Harrowby Lane and Princess Drive. It was purchased in May 1951 for £475. The legal documents (conveyance) were signed by Rev. John Banks-
An active membership met at "the hut" with a large Sunday School and other weekday meetings taking place. In December 1951, there were 283 Sunday School members on the Roll and the average attendance was 190. There were 6 teachers and helpers and 55 young people attended the Junior Guild during the week.
In the meantime negotiations began with an architect from Skegness, MR O.M. THORPE. Plans were eventually agreed and Fosters Builders of Grantham were engaged to build the new church, at a cost of approximately £10,000.
The Stone Laying Ceremony was held on Saturday June 8 1963 which was a hot, sunny day. The Service of Opening, and Dedication was held on Saturday December 14 1963 at 3.00pm. In December 1963, there were 80 Sunday School members on the Roll and the average attendance, was 56. There were 5 teachers and helpers and 36 young people attended the Junior Guild.
The building cost was assisted by a grant of £2,500 which was received from the Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust and also £750 received from the General Chapel Committee, Manchester. The remaining money was received from other donations and the church was able to open free from any financial debts or loans.
When Broad Street Methodist Church closed in early 1964, the organ was transferred to Harrowby Lane. A new electronic organ was purchased from Harris Organ Builders of Birmingham in 1969.
A new schoolroom extension (replacing the remaining part of "the hut") was completed in 1968 by Fosters Builders, who also in 1968, built a new manse on land adjacent to the church. A new span roof covering the whole of the schoolroom and flat roof areas at the front and back of the church was erected in 1985 by G.W.Seoffield (Builder) of Belton Lane.
The kitchen was updated in 1990. The current membership stands at 93. Community roll stands at approximately 150.
Building over the Wooden shed in the late 60's
with our brick building MKI!
Courtesy Grantham Journal.